Thursday, December 12, 2013

Making curry powder

Making curry powder to give as Christmas presents is a fun and different gift...


I make my curry powder on the mild side, I can always add cayenne pepper later if I want to heat things up a bit.

If you use whole seeds like I do, you must lightly toast them first, this will release the wonderful aromas and oils.  Do this by placing the seeds in a heavy skillet over medium heat, shaking the seeds back and fourth making sure not to burn them.

Christmas is the time when I dump out all my spices and buy fresh ones, making curry powder you must use fresh ingredients, Gourmet Galley in Friday Harbor has the best spices at a good price.

Recipe makes about a cup:

1 T brown mustard seeds
1 t cardamom seeds
1 stick cinnamon
1/2 t whole cloves
2 t coriander
1 T cumin seeds
1 T fennel seeds
1 T fenugreek seeds
1 t fresh grated nutmeg
1 t black peppercorns
1 t powdered ginger
3 star anise
1 T yellow mustard seeds
2 T ground turmeric
1 t paprika
1 t flaky maldon salt
1/2 t cayenne pepper

After toasting the seeds, combine everything in a bowl and mix.  Then grind all the ingredients in a vitamix, if you don't have one use a blender or coffee grinder working in small batches.

Bon Appetit!  Chef Hobbes

1 comment:

  1. My sister, Cynthia DeStaffany, forced my brain-injured mother into GIVING her our family business, The Gourmet's Galley, in Friday Harbor, after the whole family had built that business TOGETHER. Cynthia did this while she continued to ignore and severely neglect Mom, allowing Mom to live in terrible squalor with unpaid bills for YEARS.

    When my husband and I found out and tried to put a stop to all of this, my sister intervened, and scared my mother into allowing it all to continue until Mom's death in 2011. Mom's house insurance lapsed, her electric bill was shut off many times, and her property was very nearly lost in an auction due to unpaid taxes. My sister was against us hiring a housekeeper or nurse for Mom, so Mom declined our many offers of help. Yet when Mom died, my sister was right there to take Mom's property, her (now-dilapidated) house, and nearly everything in it. This is after she did the exact same thing to our Dad.

    When you do business with The Gourmet's Galley in Friday Harbor, you are condoning and further supporting this reprehensible behavior. Please STOP! My Mom did not want any of this to happen, but felt powerless to stop it. BULLYING IS WRONG.

    Do you really want to associate your brand with this nightmare?

    ReplyDelete