Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Coconut Oil

Many of you have asked, how do I use coconut oil?  Well stand - by!

According to many health and nutrition experts, such as Dr. Mercola, Sally Fallon, and the Weston Price Foundation, coconut oil has huge health benefits and can even help you lose weight!

The three fats I use are, organic coconut oil, olive oil and butter.  The body needs fat and must have it to be healthy.  Low fat diets don't work, they may help you lose weight but they cause other problems, such as joint pain and so on.  There's even speculation that the reason we seem to need hip and knee replacements is that we've been told for years that fat is bad!  Just think about it, the longest living countries in the world have high amounts of fat in their diet, and it's not just fat from fish, but all animal fats!

I like to mix my fats up!  When I cook my breakfast in the morning, I'll use a different fat to cook my lunch and dinner, that way I get the goodness from all of them...

Here's a few ways to use coconut oil.  Saute a little onion in coconut oil, and then scramble some eggs and mix with them.  It goes without saying if you're making an Asian dish use coconut oil.  I eat a lot of greens like kale, chard and spinach, so I'll make them with olive oil or butter one day and coconut the next, just to mix or change the flavors a bit!

The organic coconut oil in the photo is Dr Bronners.  I find it to be full of flavor, and the price is pretty good, and it's packed in a glass jar, so you're not getting any toxins from plastic.

Hope this helps!

Bon Appetit!  Chef Hobbes

1 comment:

  1. I used coconut oil for the first time in a stir-fry. Very nice!! Heard it from you - TA!

    ReplyDelete